We recognise that:
- the welfare of the child/young person is paramount
- some adults are equally vulnerable
- all vulnerable people are entitled to be safeguarded regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief,
- regardless of sexual orientation or identity, all people have the right to equal protection from all types of harm or abuse
- working in partnership with children, young people, their parents, vulnerable adults carers and any agencies working with them is essential in promoting their welfare.
The purpose of the policy:
- To provide protection for the children, young people and vulnerable adults who engage with the Incredible Aqua Garden.
- To provide staff and volunteers with guidance on procedures they should adopt in the event that they suspect a child or young person or vulnerable adult may be experiencing, or be at of risk of harm.
This policy applies to all staff, including managers and the board of trustees, paid staff, volunteers and sessional workers, agency staff, students or anyone working on behalf of the Incredible Aqua Garden.
We will seek to safeguard children and young people and vulnerable adults by:
- valuing them, listening to and respecting them
- adopting child protection guidelines through procedures and a code of conduct for staff and volunteers
- recruiting staff and volunteers safely, ensuring all necessary checks are made
- sharing information about child protection and good practice with children, parents, staff and volunteers
- sharing information about concerns with agencies who need to know, and involving parents and children appropriately
- providing effective management for staff and volunteers through supervision, support and training.
We are also committed to reviewing our policy and good practice annually.